Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Leaning in




My favourite activity when it comes to birthdays is to organise surprises. My mother was turning the ancient age of 40, and thus a perfect opportunity had come for a massive surprise birthday party.

And believe me, this party was huge. We had over 100 people hide out at a friend's place in Orchard Hills (they conveniently had a huge house/backyard)with enough food to feed a small country, a bush band with large tent for bush dancing, several fires burning and plenty of balloons.

The surprise was a huge success; my mother was so not prepared for 100 people to come charging out at her, yelling "SURPRISE!" Then again, who ever is? It was the best!!

My dad's parents came to the party, along with my great-grandmother. It was the first time Lachlan would meet them and he soon got roped into talking to my grandfather about fixing cars, or something boy-ish like that. I felt sorry for him in a way. I also found it a little amusing.

As the night progressed and our stomachs filled, we all found ourselves eager to do some dancing. As dorky as I think bush-dancing is, it was so much fun! Everyone was laughing, singing and being uncoordinated all at once!

I was extremely happy, because now I had an excuse to publically hold Lachlan's hands as we swung around doing the dosey doe, or heel & toe. And it was during this wonderful dancing that I received a spectacular bruise.

Dear, dear Lachlan still apologises today. I often bring it up whenever I am feeling hard-done-by (in the sense of the word). For example, if he won't reveal his secret plans to me, or he won't listen to my ridiculous rants about grammar or he won't give me exactly what I want when I want it.

I am yet to use the event against him in a serious manner.

So there we were, dancing around, when suddenly his foot, which was supposed to go one direction, went the wrong direction and eventually found itself planted on top of my foot. The pain, needless to say after one has had a grown man's foot stomp on top of their foot, was rather substantial.

The look on his face when he realised he had hurt me - absolutely priceless!

He was so upset that he had injured me. I laughed it off and told him it was totally fine, which it was. I felt very special to have his foot imprint on mine. The bruise was beautiful; big, purple and swollen. I couldn't really dance for the remainder of the evening, but I could sit down with him for a few hours and just hang out. In the end I believe I won no matter what happened.

As we sat there on the hay bale, with the fire burning in front of us we were soon ambushed by the lady who had given up her property for the party. And she stood there with a camera, demanding to take a picture of us together.

So we sat there and waited, smiling. She rolled her eyes, and couldn't do it.

"For goodness sake you two, we know all about you! Lean in!"

Blushing, I looked at Lachlan, and bent my head awkwardly and remained pretty much unchanged.

"Lean in, I said!"

"I am!" I shouted back.

"Whatever, sit still and smile, you fools."

And she took the picture, laughing at our embarrassed and timid smiles. I felt like I had 'leaned in' heaps for that photo. I look at it now and shake my head. I was so foolish sometimes.

But despite this, I felt like we were 'leaning in' heaps. We were getting closer and closer, and I was loving the overwhelming feeling of being in love. It was so brand new and fresh. It was special and untainted. It was perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment