Sunday, June 13, 2010

Birches, Mary and False Prayers


Late Wednesday afternoon we reached our destination. We were staying at the Birches Motel, about a 15 minute walk from our venue for the conference. We were so exhausted, but had to keep going as the first night session would be starting soon. Forcing the energy and enthusiasm took a lot out of us, but we were all very glad to be there. It was a fabulous conference.

There was one girl who was staying with us who was rather synical of Lachlan and I. She somehow had watched us like a hawk the whole trip down and probably saw us holding hands. So off she went to tattle to my mother. I was so annoyed.

Mum gently pulled me aside and questioned me about my 'public displays of affection' with Lachlan, and I told her mostly everything. Of course I felt extremely guilty for lying to my mother, but I was nervous. Plus half the stuff the girl had told my mum wasn't true, so I knew I was telling the truth for 80% of everything. I just happened to leave out the holding hands part...

The girl even went up to my sister and said that if Lachlan and I weren't going out then she was the Virgin Mary. Ah Mary...the name remains for her today.

In fact her new nickname stuck almost instantly. Lachlan, Emily, Justin and myself all began calling her that, and then we were discovered. My dad, who is not a subtle person, and who certainly takes some time in understanding when things are meant to be 'inside' stuff, pretty much gave us away.

We were all sitting in a resturant after our morning session at the conference for lunch. Emily and I noticed on the menu that they were serving Bloody Marys, and being close sisters who don't usually require too much explaination between each other, we both started cracking up. It was definitely an inside joke, because we just found it hilarious. Any reference to any Mary was now a joke for us.

Soon Lachlan and Justin were well aware of why we were laughing, and soon joined us. Then my dad wanted to add his laughter. So he asked us what was wrong. I'm almost 100% sure that he didn't know about the 'Virgin Mary' sitting next to him, so when we pointed to the drink, he said "I don't understand, what is so funny about Bloody Marys?"

An awkward silence fell over his particular table, as "Mary" grew bright red and uncomfortable. She knew we were laughing at her, and as we tried despereately to suppress our giggles (unsuccessfully), she grew more and more angry. Oh the glares!! They were certainly priceless.

Apart from our Biblical character issues, we also had to deal with our own 'spiritual' falseness. It was during this conference that everyone discovered the terrible truth about Michael Gugglielmucci, and a sombre atmosphere had fallen over the conference.

Although we were devastated by the news, we didn't let it affect us too much. I know that if I had thought about it too much, I would've become a very angry and bitter person.

I believe that it was on the afternoon of the awful announcement when Lachlan, Emily and I found ourselves sitting and waiting in the conference lobby all alone because we had missed getting into one the electives. Walking too slowly never pays off.

While we sat there and waited, we saw the co-ordinator of the whole conference coming towards us. He was our Christian celebrity at the time. Both Emily & Lachlan felt extremely excited by the fact that he could be walking past us, but then they began to freak out, in case he asked us why we weren't in an elective.

It was then Emily said the quote of the trip for us all.

"Quick pretend to be spiritual and pray!"

I laughed, but to my amazement looked and saw both of them heads bent, eyes closed. They were pathetic. Feeling confident that they had managed to fool the co-ordinator once he had headed out of the lobby onto the busy Melbourne street, they looked back up and we continued to wait for everyone to come out of their electives. There were many moments like those ones, where we all ended up in hysterics. It was truly one of my favourite memeories.

Finally came Saturday morning-early again-and we began our trip home. Lachlan and I were sitting next to each other in the middle of the bus this time. I was feeling more confident around him, and easily rested my head upon his shoulder once more.

When we woke up however, we were both extremely embarrassed. Our window had completely fogged up. It was the only window on the whole bus that had fogged up. Everyone made a big deal about it, asking us what we had been doing which could have caused the window to fog. Even my dad light-heartedly joked about us!

The moments of embarrassment were now going to be part of the norm for us. I would have to get used to it. But even those moments with him I wouldn't trade for anything in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment