Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Toukley, roadside cafes and pit toilets

Three weeks has passed and Lachlan & I were absolutely blooming. Ever since that magical kiss at Christmas (which I had not told anyone about) I was more head over heels for him than ever before.

But as time passed so did my desperation for us to finally be together. I mustered up all my courage and told Joanne and my sister Emily about the kiss. They were so happy, but also concerned. It was definitely time for things to be made official.

Our youth group was preparing for a big trip up to Toukley on the Central Coast for a Summercamp. I was very excited about this camp simply because Lachlan was going to be there.

The day arrived and my sister Emily, my two friends Emily B and Aden and myself piled ourselves into my car and off we went. Lachlan was driving with someone else and had left a little later than myself. This made me very happy, because after 2 hours of driving I would at least have the advantage of freshening up and looking fabulous despite the long journey.

The first hour passed with no dramas. However we soon realised something- we were all STARVING! We desperately needed food, so decided to exit off the main freeway and head down a random unknown road to a location we had no idea about.

Not our brightest moment.

We took several turns and tried our best to remember each road and finally happened to pass a roadside cafe. Pulling up, we jumped out, stretched and basked in the scorching summer heat. Emily (my sister) and Aden headed up the hill to the toilet shed. Emily B and I went inside to buy some food and satisfy our hunger.

The food was disgusting. It was over-fried, dripping in oil and covered in flies. We ran out before anyone could ask us what we wanted to buy. The toilet stop wasn't much of a success either. Aden & Emily came to us pale-faced and distraught. They had never seen such a foul toilet in all their lives. We went to see...

We were getting back into the car and getting out of that random, disgusting place in the middle of nowhere faster than when we pulled up. After driving around for a while, we realised that we were slightly lost. We made random turns onto roads which seemed more major than not and looked for signs which told us the direction of the Freeway.

After about 20 minutes in silent panic we turned back onto the highway and continued our journey- hungry and more desperate for a toilet than ever before.

McDonalds was our saving grace.

Finally we came into Toukley and did that many U-turns it seemed utterly ridiculous. Finally my phone began ringing. Lachlan had not only beaten me, but he was now worried. I jokingly asked him if Foster was close to Toukley, which did not help his worries.

But he needn't have worried for we were only a few minutes away. And when we pulled up we breathed a big sigh of relief. That was the most entertaining, stressful and memorable car road trips I've ever had!

But the 3 days were only just beginning and many many things were still to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment