Friday, October 15, 2010

Christmas

Christmas.



A time of joy and love and generosity. A time to remember the birth of Christ and to show others we care for them and exchange gifts.



My first Christmas with Lachlan.



I was both nervous and excited. I looked at the present I had wrapped for him and shook my head over and over again. Such a ridiculous gift. He would surely think I'm some kid after today. A glow-in-the-dark teddy dressed in a ridiculously over-priced Spiderman outfit & Nooma DVDs? Surely that couldn't be my gift to the man who had made my life so worthwhile for the past 6 months?!



Constrained to the dollars I made at Best & Less, I couldn't really afford anything fancy and I still didn't want to make things a "big deal", seeing as there was no deal to make big yet...



~sigh



I looked at the gift again and gave up. This was the best I could do and I was going to be so embarrassed when he opened it. Maybe I could become invisible for the moments following its unwrapping so that I don't have to make eye contact with him and explain myself...



Dressing up in a brand new hot pink and black party dress my mum and dad had bought me as their gift, we headed off to church to meet Lachlan and join in the service. He looked so handsome that morning- once he finally decided to show up anyway. I was a little worried that he wasn't going to make it in time for the service, and he nearly didn't because he was enjoying a late breakfast with his parents and lost track of time.



He was wearing a grey jacket and light blue shirt. His eyes were so bright and alive and his smile- gosh it made my heart melt all over again. Motioning to the empty seat next to me, I got him to sit down and we enjoyed the beautiful Christmas service singing songs and watching the kids show our pastor their gifts.



After the service we headed back to my house, and I got the privilege of riding in his dad's Mercedes. I hardly moved, for fear of doing something which might in fact break the car. Perhaps this was a slight over-reaction but in my mind ANYTHING could happen (or subsequently break) whenever I was around!



I did however pull down the viser to look at the mirror and ensure I didn't look too ridiculous. As I pulled it down however, the whole mirror FELL OUT! I sat there freaking out with the broken mirror in my lap. Lachlan, too, was starting to panic that I had broken something in the car! My stomach sank...how on earth could I afford to fix anything in a Mercedes? How on earth could I ever face his father again?!



Suddenly Lachlan started laughing. I was so confused and asked him what was so funny. He then told me that the mirror always falls out and had been broken for ages. Oh, and my face had apparently been 'priceless'...



We pulled up to my house, and quickly before we alighted from the car, Lachlan turned to me and said, "OK, Christina. I love your parents. But I have to admit something..."



"Yes?"



"I'm a little nervous."



"Why? You've been over heaps of times! What's so different about Christmas?"



"I've never done the whole family-celebrating-holidays with any of my girlfriends before."



"Well, I'm not your girlfriend yet, so don't worry." I tried reassuring him.



He smiled and we headed inside. I stayed close to him and tried everything to make sure he was comfortable. I think he soon got over his nerves once we sat down for lunch. Nothing was different and I think he was glad it was casual and fun.



After lunch came the moment I had been dreading however. He looked at his gift and smiled. Opening the gift he began laughing. Great. He thought I was ridiculous. Grabbing me in a massive hug he thanked me for the gift and said he loved it. Surprised, but very happy I began laughing and tried to explain the gift. He didn't care. He was happy.



Then I got to open my gift from him. It was light and squishy. Pulling it out of the wrapping paper, I found myself in possession of the most hilarious T-shirt. It said "I <3 my geek."

I asked him if he thought he was in fact that geek. He affirmed that he indeed did think so. I confirmed his thoughts. After spending a little longer at my place, Lachlan and I then headed off to spend the rest of the evening at his place with his parents.

We ate and enjoyed the company. It was a really lazy and enjoyable afternoon. Looking at his parents, he announced that he was taking me downstairs to give me my other present. Curious and surprised, I looked at him questionly as he dragged me along down to his room.

I stood in the doorway and waited. He pulled out a large A5 size card.

I thanked him for it and opened it up. Inside was a gift certificate to climb the Harbour Bridge! I was blown away at this expensive and thoughtful gift. Looking up at him I smiled but found no words coming out.

It was one of those times where time stood still and a million thoughts raced through my mind per second, and I took the time to argue with each of those thoughts.

Just say it. You have to now. How can you not tell him how you feel after everything he's done this year? After spending so much on a gift?

I kissed him on the cheek and thanked him profusely for the present. I was overwhelmed. Pausing I then said, "You know, you know that I love you, right?"

He looked down at me and said, "You really should be careful about what you say,"

I was shattered! For a split second I was crushed and then I became angry. How could he say that? How could that be his response?

Before I could say anything else, he leaned down and he kissed me. Properly. I stood there shaking; both in my unnecessary and momentary anger, and in shock at was just happening!

I was kissing Lachlan! He was kissing me!

Pulling back, he looked at me and said, "I love you too Christina Parker."

I walked into my house later that night and my family was watching the movie, "Ever After". It was towards the end and the scene where Dannielle kisses her prince comes onto the screen.

"Ew! Kissing boys is disgusting! Don't you think Christina?" my little sister, Rebecca asked me.

"Oh yea. Really gross." I blushed.

After showing my parents my amazing gift I went into my room and closed the door. I closed my eyes. I smiled that whole night.

I had received a perfect gift. I would never forget that Christmas...

No comments:

Post a Comment