Friday, October 15, 2010

Rendezvous in Bethlehem



2008 was coming to close. It had been a fruitful and unexpected year, full of surprises and change. I was sad that such a year full of memories was finishing, but in many ways I was excited to be heading into a new year (and hopefully) and new stage in my relationship with Lachlan.




For many years now, my church had held a huge Christmas event for the Penrith community known as the Bethlehem Experience. This event was always a favourite of mine. The church built a fairly large "city" in the middle of the paddock, which represented the city of Bethlehem at the time of the birth of Jesus Christ. There are many actors, animals, sights, smells and sounds which add to the "reality" of the experience.




For the first time I would be acting in Bethlehem as an oil merchant. I was so excited. Lachlan was going to be a fishmonger. When we looked at the layout of the city, however, we realised that we were actually fairly far apart from each other in the city.




Together we planned our "secret" rendezvous in which we would meet up somewhere and play thumbwars aka bask in each other's pathetically in-love presence.




The week leading up to the Bethlehem Experience was a little bumpy however. Lachlan and I decided that we definitely wanted to "officially" announce our relationship properly. It wasn't like anything we did together would change- we were an item. We just wanted a date to celebrate it with now!




Mum was still hesitant about the whole thing and told me to talk to my youth pastor and get her perspective on the situation. I did so, and nothing really changed. Everyone still thought we may as well wait to help us deal with the "pressures" of relationships. In my mind that made absolutely no sense! I would be hiding more if I wasn't officially in a relationship with this boy more than if I was! At least if I was going out with him I could kiss him in public and not be crucified...




Depressed and despondant, Lachlan and I headed into the Bethlehem Experience week rather melancholy and defeated. Would we EVER be together?




The acting was lots of fun despite the issue of our relationship hanging over my head. I spent more time "helping" the fishmongers out more than doing my part in the oil stall. It was pathetic to be sure, but it made me very happy, and the special moments where Lachlan and I could just talk and laugh together were so precious! It certainly DID NOT help my longing to be with him.




After the long week of late nights, memorizing lines and laughing endlessly with my best friend, I was totally exhausted. Not to mention my failed attempt at procuring a relationship with Lachlan did not help at all. I lay on my bed and stared at the ceiling. Christmas was only a few days away (where I would have to meet all his family again and be perfect again) and I lay there just praying that something might happen and I would receive the present of a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment