Monday, May 24, 2010

The Couch

I was sitting in a crowd of people eager to get their cups of hot tea or coffee & meat pies, after an enjoyable evening church service at my home church in Penrith, NSW Australia.

I can still remember the feel of the leather molded uncomfortably beneath my sulky behind. I sat in the middle of a crowd, and felt as if not a single person noticed me or cared about, and quite frankly I couldn't really care much less about them either. They didn't know what it was like to be "heart-broken", the way that I had been. I had been crushed and the guy I had been chasing hadn't even given me more than 5 minutes of his precious time; then he moved away and I was left with no hope of ever having a chance with him again.

I was sixteen and already my life was over.

Eventually some of my friends came and sat down next to me & tried their best at cheering me up. I refused to accept their generous companionship. I quickly excused myself because I needed to 'freshen up' in the bathroom. In reality it was a quick way out so that I could go and wallow by myself, but with a mirror this time; that way I could see the pained expression on my pathetic face, and therefore prove to myself (and to others) that there was in fact evidence of my sorrow.

Finally, after about 10 minutes of practising "My-life-is-over" face, I left the bathroom and went back to perform Part 2 with my audience. However, when I got back I was stopped short in my tracks. My seat had been taken up, and there was no longer any space for me to sit back down! I looked to the only other seat left available in our group, and to my utmost horror, the vacancy was next Lachlan Pembroke.

Lachlan Pembroke was, in my mind at the time, my sworn enemy. The previous week he had had the nerve of coming up to me and making comments about the loss of my "one true love", and how I would just have to move on because there was no longer any chance with him. And now I was expected to endure an hour of his company.

Brilliant.

Realising I had caused an awkward pause to fall over the group, because I had not yet sat down, making it blantenly obvious that I would rather be sitting on cactus plants than next to him, I quickly painted on my false "I'm-so-glad-I-get-to-sit-next-you" face, and sat down.

The chatter started up again, except between Lachlan and I. This time I deliberately allowed the awkward silence to come and make itself comfortable. Unfortunately the boy didn't like that arrangement and tried to start a conversation.

"So...Christina. How are you?"

How original.

"Fine. You?"

Lachlan jumped at the opportunity. For the next 5 minutes he told me all about his day, and how much he was enjoying the night. I just nodded, and unfortunately I cannot tell you any of the details he told me, because I didn't listen to a word he said. He then asked me what I liked to do in my spare time. I said I liked reading.

"I love reading! But I also love technology stuff, so I don't read so much. I also like to cause trouble."

Great, just what I needed. A trouble-maker.

"There was this one time, when my friend and I set my dad's shed on fire with a can of aerosol. I was 10."

Then came my "Oh-my-goodness-he's-a-crazy-person" face.

"You did what?!" I couldn't believe he was that much of a trouble maker! Little did I realise that my comment had broken down a barrier I had desperately tried defending. Now that it was down, I found myself conversing quite openly with this boy.

Eventually the hour passed and we found everyone leaving, including my family. I had to say good bye to Lachlan. I had told him so much about myself, and he too had told me many stories.

Before I left I told him about my "grand" plan to become a solo missionary in some remote location in the world. It was my solution to the fact that I had failed in the delicate art of love. His reaction took me completely by surprise.

"Don't get too excited about that idea! I really enjoyed your friendship tonight. I wouldn't want to miss out on more nights like this one."

That one word changed everything, and I forgot about the comments from the previous week. That night I realised I hadn't lost anything- I had gained something.

Friendship.

And that was how our adventures started.

No comments:

Post a Comment